The Urban Design and Landscape Plan (UDLP) describes how the new design elements of the project will look and is being developed based on the preliminary designs in the project Environmental Impact Statement and stakeholder feedback.
The UDLP is split into two basic stages to facilitate approval of the urban design elements that make up NorthConnex:
- Stage 1 – the overall alignment and urban design of the motorway interchanges with the M1 Pacific Motorway and Pennant Hills Road and the Hills M2 Motorway at the north and south ends of the project respectively. It also includes the urban design of the Hills M2 westbound widening work following the existing alignment of the Hills M2 Motorway
- Stage 2 – the urban design of the facility compounds. These areas are being used as construction sites for the tunneling activities or staged construction of the interchange connections, with the building construction carried out later. Stage 2 also includes the urban design of the tunnel interior.
Updates made to Stage 1 include stages 1b and 1c. For Stage 2, they include stages 2b and 2c.
Together these documents form a comprehensive Urban Design and Landscape Plan. A description of the contents of each document is included below.
Stage 1 provides information on the motorway urban landscape and design principles, interchange interface, road and cycleway bridges, pedestrian routes, noise barriers and retaining walls, and road signs. This stage has been approved by the Department of Planning and Environment (DP&E) and a submissions report is now available for viewing.
Stage 1b details the design of the western retaining walls and noise barriers for the motorway operations complex. Targeted consultation with directly impacted residents and property owners was carried out to finalise this document. This stage has been approved by DP&E. The submissions report for this stage is provided in Appendix 1b.
Stage 1c is in development and provides minor editorial edits and design changes for:
- A revised alignment of the westbound on-ramp from Pennant Hills Road to merge with NorthConnex (instead of the Hills M2 mainline)
- Relocation of the Hills M2 Motorway westbound bike path connection from Pennant Hills Road and revised design of the cycleway overbridge on the NorthConnex exit
- Adjustment to and replacement of the Hills M2 Motorway westbound noise barriers along Carmen Drive and Coral Tree Drive
- A revised design of the Hewitt Avenue shared path connection to Pennant Hills Road
- A replacement noise barrier on the M1 Pacific Motorway northbound between Pennant Hills Road and the Pacific Highway overbridge.
includes urban design and landscape plans for buildings such as the ventilation outlets, motorway operations complex and service buildings as well as tunnel and tolling structures. It was exhibited for community feedback and approved
by DP&E. The submissions report for this stage is provided in Appendix A
Stage 2b will include a revised design to reduce the footprint and visual impact of the Trelawney and Wilson permanent support facilities. Targeted consultation with directly impacted residents and property owners will be carried out when the design proposal has been prepared.
Stage 2c will provide a proposal for the tunnel aesthetic lighting and visual graphics. This stage is in development and consultation with stakeholders will be carried out when the proposal has been prepared.
The NorthConnex team would like to thank the community for providing feedback on the various stages of the UDLP.